Home            History


The  are  was  inhabited  from a  long  time  ago. Proof  of  it  are  the  ruins  of  the  pre-Byzantium  church  of  saint  Andreas, which  were  found  in Diaporos  island. Remarkable  is  also  the  “ Great  Wall “  a  fortifications  construction, which  cut the  communication  between  the  peninsula  of  Sithonia  and  the  rest  of  Halkidiki.  In  10 th  century  the  area  was  mentioned  as  “ the  land  of  the  Vourvourourians “  and  during the  Byzantium   empire, it  was  allotmented   to  the  holy  monastery  of  Xenofontos  in  mount  Athos. In  1616  the  residents  of  Agios  Nikolaos  became  owners  of  the  area. In  the  late  19 th  century  the  holy  monastery  of  Simonos  Petras  sold  the  area  to  Russian  monks, who were  forced  out by  the  inhabitants  of  Agios  Nikolaos. The  latter  remained  the  only  owners  of  the area.

Copyright © 2011 Apartments  Stamos. Designed  and  developed  by  laki. All  rights  reserved.
E-mail: stamos@halkidiki.com